Hope all is well and you enjoyed the weekend!
Are you investing in yourself daily?
I'm not talking about investing your money with the expectation of financial gain or profit. I'm talking about investing in your personal wellness and well-being.
If you are a busy corporate professional or entrepreneur, it's imperative to invest in yourself!
Investing in yourself means being focused and intentional about prioritizing and devoting your own time, energy and efforts on improving your wellness. The key is to figure out what does personal wellness look like for YOU specifically, and what is needed to improve YOUR well-being.
Many people confuse the terms "wellness" and "well-being," using them interchangeably. Though they are related, they are different things.
So, what is the difference between personal wellness and well-being?
Your personal wellness consist of holistic actions, habits and behaviors that help you to live a healthy and mindful daily lifestyle. Well-being is a multi-dimensional state of mind based on your perception of life. It encompasses your self-awareness, self-management and ability to cope with and respond to normal stresses of life. Improving your well-being makes it easier to cultivate personal wellness and allows you to thrive no matter what challenges come your way.
Therefore, investing in yourself requires you to incorporate and execute daily habits and behaviors that help you to thrive and respond positively to negative emotions, limiting beliefs, self-sabotaging behaviors, stress and burn out. Furthermore, when you invest in yourself, you create a solid foundation for growth and success. You focus on the things that matter most to you, and create a life that is full of joy and meaning.
Here are 12 practical habits and behaviors that you can practice daily to invest in your personal wellness and well-being:
- Smile - Research has shown that the act of smiling can have a direct effect on how you feel. Smiling releases tiny chemicals in the brain called endorphins, which help make you feel happy. So, every morning before you start your day, stand in front of the mirror for a few seconds and focus on your own reflection. Then put a big smile on your face and hold it as long as possible. The more you do this, the more natural it will feel when you are actually happy. The more you do this, the easier it will become for your body to recognize when it needs to put on a smile.
- Affirm Yourself - Empowering affirmations are a great way to build confidence, develop a healthy mindset, and change your perspective when dealing with limiting beliefs and self-sabotaging behaviors. They also can keep you in a state of gratitude, inspiration, and motivation.
- Pray - Prayer is a powerful daily habit that can enhance your personal wellness and well-being in many ways. When you spend time alone communicating and listening to God's will, it brings strength, comfort, peace, healing and clarity to your mind and soul.
- Meditate - Meditation is the practice of being mindful and living in the moment. It helps you find clarity amidst all the chaos of daily life by helping you focus on your breathing, thoughts, and emotions. Meditation can also help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression and lead to relaxation and peace of mind throughout the day.
- Exercise - Working out is good for your body, but it's also good for your mind. Exercise can fight depression, anxiety and stress while improving memory and focus. All you need is 15-30 minutes of some type of resistance, strength, cardio or flexibility training to energize your mind and body.
- Walk Outdoors - When you feel stressed or overwhelmed, go for a short mindful walk outdoors. This will help you reconnect your mind and body, get you grounded in the present moment, and extend your awareness and appreciation for nature. Being outdoors also boosts your mood, reduces stress and brings clarity so you can think better.
- Make Healthier Food Choices - Start small by replacing unhealthy foods with healthier choices such as eating an apple instead of cookies or celery with peanut butter instead of chips. Also, when you eat, slow down and really taste your food. Enjoy the colors, smells and textures of the different kinds of food on your plate. Consciously appreciate how good it tastes and feel blessed that you have enough food to nourish your body.
Consume More Water - Water is critical to our physical and mental health. It helps to keep us hydrated throughout the day to prevent symptoms of dehydration, aids in cognitive functions and helps to boost our metabolic rate and energy levels. A few general strategies to consume more water are:
- Drink at least eight ounces upon waking up
- Drink before every meal
- Sip water during and after every meal
- Hydrate before, during, and after a workout
- Drink warm water and/or water with lemon at least two hours before bed
- Eat high-water content foods i.e. apples, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon
- Read - In the morning, read something inspirational. Of course, reading is good anytime; however, many studies have shown that you are more likely to feel positive throughout your day when you read something inspirational to start your day. You can read scripture, a book, an empowering article, blog, post or poem; it just needs to resonate with your spirit, values and goals.
- Journal - Even if you are not a dedicated writer, journaling is a healthy and cathartic way to increase your self-awareness and understanding. By getting your thoughts and stories out of your head and visually on paper, it helps you to gain better perspective and clarity on life.
- Unplug, Unwind and Rest - Set boundaries and unplug from all technology so you can unwind and rest. Unplugging helps to reboot your brain, improves your cognitive functions and increases productivity. It's also important to establish a bedtime routine that includes unplugging at least 30-60 minutes before bed so you can get quality sleep.
- Breathe - Show yourself kindness by taking a few moments throughout the day to pause, breathe deeply, and center yourself. This will help you stay calm, level-headed and positive when dealing with and reacting to stressful situations.
Be Blessed and Have a Wonderful Week!
|Bless a Friend|